Sunday 24 October 2010

Today was the big day.


Well, today was the big day, when I put all mum’s hard work and time she has spent on obedience training to the test, to go and have a go at agility training.

I performed well, and really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the social aspect a lot more than the equipment training, but I behaved immaculately and was a credit to all mum’s hard work.

I made some lovely new friends and I was in a group of all black Labradors, one of my new friends is an ex guide dog for the blind, so I had to be on my best behaviour not to be shown up by someone with such excellent skills.

I surprised mum when I managed to sit and stay whilst she went and put my ball at the other side of the jump. I have never stayed away from the ball before as it is my biggest delight.

My best equipment was the jumps and the tunnel, I excelled at the tunnel and to everyone’s surprise, because I was the biggest dog there and had to duck and squeeze through the quite small tunnel. I was only too happy to run through it again and again even without mum having to be at the other end and calling me through.

The biggest challenge is the dog walk – this is three thin planks of wood set out like a bridge with sloping ends. Everyone struggled with this part, firstly because some of the other team members were apprehensive about being off the ground, but the biggest issue was having to stop at the end on the yellow painted part, try explaining that there is a difference between green and yellow, I still don’t get it. To add to the confusion I am meant to stop with two front paws on the grass and back paws on the end of the ramp.

I had particular issue with this piece of equipment because of my size. Being a larger Labrador I had difficulty walking along the thin planks with my big feet. I also found that the planks were not high enough to deter me from jumping down half way. Finally the instructors found it difficult to lift me back onto the equipment due to my heavy build. However I am determined.

The session lasted for an hour but it felt much longer than that, and I slept in the car all the way home, I didn’t even notice my owner had parked up and gone to the supermarket during the journey home. I am eagerly waiting for next week, and will continue vigilantly with the obedience training.

No comments:

Post a Comment